Welcome!

Welcome to Paleo Rustic, aptly named because it is a no frills, blog containing Paleo recipes, a few random thoughts and not much more. I don't claim to be an expert on the benefits of eating Paleo, nor will you find lectures or tutorials on the science of it all. I just know it works for me and after several requests from friends for recipes I decided to put them all in a blog so they can stop by and take what they need when they need it.


The photography is anything but stunning. All pictures are taken on my iphone as I'm cooking. There'll be no pretty flowers to dress things up, nor pristine angelic children in the background to make me look like an authentic Mother. Just a messy kitchen and a few dirt encrusted boys wandering past, wondering where their dinner is and why I'm photographing it.

It's a work in progress folks, so if you stop by in the early days and there's nothing here for you, come back later to see what's been added. Each recipe is either created by me or borrowed from another blog. Rest assured, if I try something from your blog you will get all the credit for it :)

If you're a fellow Paleo blogger please stop by and say hello!!

Sunday 26 February 2012

Chicken Stock


Chicken stock recipe (slow cooker)
Ingredients: Note. I used a mixture of raw and cooked chicken bones for this. Only because we had just had a roast chicken for dinner and I thought its bones would make better use as stock fodder, than garbage bin fodder. Really, you can throw in any herbs you want. I just have a thing for bay leaves and thyme :) The stock will be darker and more solid than store bought stock but that's a good thing. It means all the nutrients have been contained in it.



1 cooked chicken carcass (throw in any non used bits)
1kg raw chicken pieces (I just used necks but wings/backs are good)
3 large carrots
4 stalks celery
two onions
4-5 garlic cloves
½ cup spring onions, chopped
4 bay leaves
3-4 sprigs Thyme
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1tbsp celtic sea salt

Method
Roughly chop all vegetables and place into slow cooker. Peel and crush garlic cloves and add with chopped onions and spring onion. Add chicken carcass and pieces. Place bay leaves and thyme on top. Add vinegar and celtic sea salt. Cover with cold water and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours. I cook it over night. Strain into heat proof dish and cool immediately. The bulk will have small chicken bones so will not be edible. You could blend it and give it to a lucky cat. Once cooled, place into separate containers and freeze. Makes about 2.2 litres.

No comments:

Post a Comment