Welcome!

Welcome to Paleo Rustic, aptly named because it is a no frills, blog containing Paleo recipes, a few random thoughts and not much more. I don't claim to be an expert on the benefits of eating Paleo, nor will you find lectures or tutorials on the science of it all. I just know it works for me and after several requests from friends for recipes I decided to put them all in a blog so they can stop by and take what they need when they need it.


The photography is anything but stunning. All pictures are taken on my iphone as I'm cooking. There'll be no pretty flowers to dress things up, nor pristine angelic children in the background to make me look like an authentic Mother. Just a messy kitchen and a few dirt encrusted boys wandering past, wondering where their dinner is and why I'm photographing it.

It's a work in progress folks, so if you stop by in the early days and there's nothing here for you, come back later to see what's been added. Each recipe is either created by me or borrowed from another blog. Rest assured, if I try something from your blog you will get all the credit for it :)

If you're a fellow Paleo blogger please stop by and say hello!!

Saturday 24 March 2012

(Almost) Paleo Chocolate Mousse

This recipe is a work in progress. I went to a nutrition seminar recently at my gym, Livestrong Primal Fitness, and one of the benefits was scoring this really cool recipe for a Paleo chocolate mousse. However, the recipe used cacao powder which I currently do not have. Someone at the seminar asked if it would be ok to substitute the cacao powder for 85% Organic Fair Trade dark chocolate and the general consensus was yes. So, off I trot to get me some 85% Organic Fair Trade dark chocolate and when I find said chocolate I am somewhat overjoyed but a little dismayed as it does contain a fair bit of sugar, much much less than mass produced commercial chocolate (13g per 100g as opposed to about 56g per 100g) and it is organic sugar but I think I'll try with the cacao powder when I get some and stick with that. I altered the contents a little from the original recipe but I tend to do that!


Excuse the greasy picture but I didn't think to photograph this until I had already used it and my hands were oily from breaking it apart.


So, there's really nothing wrong with calling this a paleo recipe but it sits just on the boarder of being too sugar laden, although some would say that about my Paleo Cookies too because they include organic honey. So, you choose, Paleo enough or not?

Anyway, it's delicious so until that Cacao Powder arrives it will have to do. So, here it is!

Oh and yes, I am well aware that the picture looks like a big bowl of poo ;-}


Ingredients
1 large or 1 and a half med avocados
l large or 1 and a half med bananas
3tbsp coconut cream
1 80g block 85% Organic Fair Trade chocolate.

Method


Scoop flesh from avocados and place into large mixing bowl. Chop banana and add to bowl.



 Blend using a stick blender. If your avocado is a little under ripe you'll need to blend it a little more thoroughly.


Add coconut milk and blend in 


Break chocolate into smaller pieces and melt slowly in the microwave. My bog standard microwave used 3 x 60sec on 50% power and it was perfectly melted. Add to mixture.


Blend chocolate in thoroughly using stick blender. Once mixture has fully combined transfer to serving bowl and refrigerate.

It's a super easy recipe that took me about five minutes to make. Serves about 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment