Welcome!

Welcome to Paleo Rustic, aptly named because it is a no frills, blog containing Paleo recipes, a few random thoughts and not much more. I don't claim to be an expert on the benefits of eating Paleo, nor will you find lectures or tutorials on the science of it all. I just know it works for me and after several requests from friends for recipes I decided to put them all in a blog so they can stop by and take what they need when they need it.


The photography is anything but stunning. All pictures are taken on my iphone as I'm cooking. There'll be no pretty flowers to dress things up, nor pristine angelic children in the background to make me look like an authentic Mother. Just a messy kitchen and a few dirt encrusted boys wandering past, wondering where their dinner is and why I'm photographing it.

It's a work in progress folks, so if you stop by in the early days and there's nothing here for you, come back later to see what's been added. Each recipe is either created by me or borrowed from another blog. Rest assured, if I try something from your blog you will get all the credit for it :)

If you're a fellow Paleo blogger please stop by and say hello!!

Sunday 26 February 2012

Slow Cooked Beef Casserole


Recipe beef casserole (slow cooker)



OK, that's not a pretty picture but believe me, it tasted like awesomeville. 

Ingredients: please note, these are very rough estimates. I probably put more mushrooms and sweet potato in. If it looks like it doesn’t have enough once it’s all in the slow cooker, just throw a few more of your favourites in.

1kg round steak
800ml paleo beef stock
4 med carrots
4-5 stalks celery
3-4 Bay leaves
4-5 Thyme sprigs
1/2 cup continental parsley
1lge onion
4 garlic
4 fresh chopped tomatoes
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups diced sweet potato
2tbs apple cider vinegar
1tbs Celtic sea salt

Method
Pour stock into slow cooker and turn on to low setting. Chop all vegetables. Cube steak into bite sized pieces. Peel and crush garlic. Place vegetables, meat and garlic into slow cooker. Place bay leaves, parsley and thyme on top. Add vinegar and sea salt. Cook on low covered for 8 hours (I put it on early in the morning). Increase to high and cook uncovered for a further two hours. Stir every few minutes as this releases the steam and helps the liquid to reduce. Remove the Bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Serve. 

This recipe makes about 4 litres. Enough to feed a bloody big family or a few smaller ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment