Welcome!

Welcome to Paleo Rustic, aptly named because it is a no frills, blog containing Paleo recipes, a few random thoughts and not much more. I don't claim to be an expert on the benefits of eating Paleo, nor will you find lectures or tutorials on the science of it all. I just know it works for me and after several requests from friends for recipes I decided to put them all in a blog so they can stop by and take what they need when they need it.


The photography is anything but stunning. All pictures are taken on my iphone as I'm cooking. There'll be no pretty flowers to dress things up, nor pristine angelic children in the background to make me look like an authentic Mother. Just a messy kitchen and a few dirt encrusted boys wandering past, wondering where their dinner is and why I'm photographing it.

It's a work in progress folks, so if you stop by in the early days and there's nothing here for you, come back later to see what's been added. Each recipe is either created by me or borrowed from another blog. Rest assured, if I try something from your blog you will get all the credit for it :)

If you're a fellow Paleo blogger please stop by and say hello!!

Saturday 3 March 2012

Apple Crumble

This recipe was inspired by an plum tart made by my fellow Paleo enthusiast, Paulette. I did buy some plums but they were anything but fresh. That'll teach me to shop in supermarkets! Still, I wanted to make something so I took Paulette's recipe and turned it into an apple crumble. Now, this recipe turned out amazingly well for my first time at trying it but there was still room for improvement. I'd probably blind bake the pastry at a lower temp and for a little longer so the edges didn't burn. But it was still a hit with everyone even though it was a little crisp around the edges. It looks a little fiddly but if you've got a spare hour, definitely treat yourself. I got the shredded coconut from a health food store. I couldn't find any in supermarkets that wasn't laced with sugar and preservatives. The RO just means, 'raw organic'. It saves me typing it three times. The pastry in this recipe held together really well, so much so that I'm thinking of altering it a little to make some biscuits. Careful though, it is extremely filling so dish yourself up a small piece first and go back for seconds if there's still room ;)

Ingredients

Pastry

1 cup coconut flour
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup shredded coconut (non sugared)
2 egg whites
1tsp cinnamon
1tbsp raw organic honey (RO)
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted

Filling

6 medium apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
1tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2tbsp RO honey
1 cup water

Crumble

2tbsp almond meal
4tbsp shredded coconut (non sweetened)
1tbsp RO honey


Method

Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form

Slowly sift in coconut flour and add almond meal.


Stir in shredded coconut and cinnamon. Mixture should be moist but crumbly

Add melted oil and honey. Mix together thoroughly (the honey will be a bit tricky) until a dough forms. The mixture will still be crumbly but will hold together if pressed.

Put mixture into a small baking dish and press firmly into shape. Make sure the corners aren't too thick.


Blind bake on a low temp (I did 130 but it probably should have been about 100-110) for around 20 minutes. Mine got a little burned but it didn't alter the flavour. It really wasn't as bad as it looked in the picture.

While pastry is baking. Put apples and water in a pan and cook covered on high heat for around 15 minutes.

Remove lid and cook for a further 10  or so minutes, until water evaporates. Add honey, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook for a further 2 minutes.


Remove apples from heat and spread evenly over pastry. To make crumble combine coconut, almond meal and honey. Rub together with fingers until all ingredients are combined. Sprinkle evenly over apples.

Cook uncovered in oven on around 150 for about 15 minutes. Serve with coconut cream!!





No comments:

Post a Comment