Welcome!

Welcome to Paleo Rustic, aptly named because it is a no frills, blog containing Paleo recipes, a few random thoughts and not much more. I don't claim to be an expert on the benefits of eating Paleo, nor will you find lectures or tutorials on the science of it all. I just know it works for me and after several requests from friends for recipes I decided to put them all in a blog so they can stop by and take what they need when they need it.


The photography is anything but stunning. All pictures are taken on my iphone as I'm cooking. There'll be no pretty flowers to dress things up, nor pristine angelic children in the background to make me look like an authentic Mother. Just a messy kitchen and a few dirt encrusted boys wandering past, wondering where their dinner is and why I'm photographing it.

It's a work in progress folks, so if you stop by in the early days and there's nothing here for you, come back later to see what's been added. Each recipe is either created by me or borrowed from another blog. Rest assured, if I try something from your blog you will get all the credit for it :)

If you're a fellow Paleo blogger please stop by and say hello!!

Saturday 24 March 2012

Paleo Cookies.

My friends I think we have a winner! These cookies are something I conjured up in a moment of sugar craving madness and I am proud to say they are, in my very biased opinion, delicious. I thought of making something like this when I was cooking the Apple Crumble because it struck me that the base could be used for something much more awesome, and so the humble Paleo Cookie was born. They are extremely easy to make but given I'm not an actual chef nor baker I haven't figured out how to keep them crunchy past the first day. They still taste great the next day but they're much softer. These cookies are best off cooked in a low temp for a longer time. That will allow them to cook without burning them. I find that almond flour is very prone to burning at high temperatures so I try to cook on a lower temp for longer which usually woks.

If you have any cooking tips as to how to keep them crunchy, please fire off a message so I can learn!



Ingredients


Two free range egg whites
3/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup organic honey
half cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup melted coconut oil (melted)

Method


Pre heat oven to about 120. Line baking tray with oven proof baking paper


In a large bowl whisk egg whites until soft peaks form and they become stiffened. I use a hand held blender.


Gently fold in coconut flour until the mixture looks a little like biscuit crumbs


Mix in the almond meal. Pour in the honey and melted coconut oil. Here's where you have to get your hands messy. The honey won't really want to bind with the other ingredients but adding the oil and using your hands to mix it will help it all come together. I found that using a wooden spoon just didn't do the job so, hands it is.

Add the slivered almonds and mix together thoroughly.



In the end the mixture will be quite oily but maliable and a little crumbly. You might need to mess around and add a little more of the coconut flour or almond meal if you think it's really going to fail. To be honest half of the pictures for this recipe were deleted by my three year old so I'm going by memory here!!

Once it is all mixed in, scoop out a tablespoon of mixture at a time, mound it into a ball them place on a tray lined with baking paper and flatten into a biscuit shape.


Cook for around 25 minutes but keep checking that they are not starting to burn around the edges. If they are, lower the heat and increase the cooking time a little. My first batch came out perfect so I haven't altered the recipe but your oven temperature will vary to mine so keep an eye on them!


This recipe made about 24 cookies. As I mentioned they were lovely and crunchy the first day however by the next day they were a little soft. Still delicious though. My three year old devoured them! 

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment