Welcome!

Welcome to Paleo Rustic, aptly named because it is a no frills, blog containing Paleo recipes, a few random thoughts and not much more. I don't claim to be an expert on the benefits of eating Paleo, nor will you find lectures or tutorials on the science of it all. I just know it works for me and after several requests from friends for recipes I decided to put them all in a blog so they can stop by and take what they need when they need it.


The photography is anything but stunning. All pictures are taken on my iphone as I'm cooking. There'll be no pretty flowers to dress things up, nor pristine angelic children in the background to make me look like an authentic Mother. Just a messy kitchen and a few dirt encrusted boys wandering past, wondering where their dinner is and why I'm photographing it.

It's a work in progress folks, so if you stop by in the early days and there's nothing here for you, come back later to see what's been added. Each recipe is either created by me or borrowed from another blog. Rest assured, if I try something from your blog you will get all the credit for it :)

If you're a fellow Paleo blogger please stop by and say hello!!

Saturday 25 February 2012

Slow Cooked Beef Stock


All of my recipes are made using my own stock. There's just no point in cooking something Paleo, and using a store bought stock that is full of wheat, soy and preservatives. Plus, it just doesn't taste as good. So if you cook something using a recipe from this blog, and it tastes like hot crapola do not come whining to me if you didn't use a good quality paleo stock. If on the other hand you did use a good quality Paleo stock and the recipe still tastes like crap in a pan? I'm simply a much better cook than you ;) (Joke...maybe. No really)


Ingredients:Note, this is made for a large 6ltr slow cooker. You may need to increase orreduce the portions depending on the size of the cooker you’re using.

2kg beef soup bones (grass fed animal if you can)
4 large carrots
Top half of a full celery bunch, including leaves
2 onions
6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1tbs Celtic sea salt
4 large bay leaves
5-6 sprigs thyme

Method
Wash chop/dice all vegetables. Place into slow cooker. Placebeef bones on top. Add bay leaves, thyme, vinegar and salt. Cover with coldwater. Cook on low setting covered for 10-12 hours. I put it on in the eveningand turn it off in the morning. Strain through a sieve. Pour into heat proofcontainer and cool immediately. Transfer into individual containers and freeze.The stock will seem very gelatinous and somewhat fatty. This is good! You caneat the bulk however most of the nutrients are now in the stock.

Stock can be kept in the fridge for about 5 days. Personally I don't use anything over three days however that's because I'm fussy and nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment