Welcome!

Welcome to Paleo Rustic, aptly named because it is a no frills, blog containing Paleo recipes, a few random thoughts and not much more. I don't claim to be an expert on the benefits of eating Paleo, nor will you find lectures or tutorials on the science of it all. I just know it works for me and after several requests from friends for recipes I decided to put them all in a blog so they can stop by and take what they need when they need it.


The photography is anything but stunning. All pictures are taken on my iphone as I'm cooking. There'll be no pretty flowers to dress things up, nor pristine angelic children in the background to make me look like an authentic Mother. Just a messy kitchen and a few dirt encrusted boys wandering past, wondering where their dinner is and why I'm photographing it.

It's a work in progress folks, so if you stop by in the early days and there's nothing here for you, come back later to see what's been added. Each recipe is either created by me or borrowed from another blog. Rest assured, if I try something from your blog you will get all the credit for it :)

If you're a fellow Paleo blogger please stop by and say hello!!

Friday 23 March 2012

Coconut Oil. Yes (gasp!), coconut oil.

Recently my blog was linked via a friends facebook account. My friend is an absolute inspiration, having gone from being about 70kg overweight to one of the fittest cross fit peeps I know. She's into healthy eating and is always on the lookout for new things to try,  plus she'd seen me banging on about Paleo for ages now and wanted to see what it was all about. . She came to Paleo Rustic and liked what she saw, so she linked my blog up to her facebook page.  All good, until someone saw mention of coconut oil and pretty much recoiled in horror. Others also wrote that coconut oil being a saturated fat was not good for anyone and that I must have gotten it all wrong. I hadn't, but I can't blame them for thinking so.

Saturated fats have a bad rap in the diet world because we've been lead to believe they are the reason we're all overweight and dropping like flies from heart attacks and strokes. Not the case. However, as it states in my blog title I'm not a scientist nor a nutritionist so I'm not going to pretend I am qualified enough to tell you why coconut oil is one of the most beneficial things you can eat, and why it's not going to cause you to meet your maker any time soon.

I'll leave that up to those who really know their stuff and who have the expertise to explain it in a way you'll understand. Please, take time to read because it is the most interesting and eye opening subject and just may change the way you look at fats all together.

I give you....

Mark Sisson From Marks Daily Apple. A website I subscribe to and read pretty much every day. Mark has a daily email that keeps you informed, up to date and motivated. He's a great writer and speaker and is very well respected in the Paleo realm (as is everyone else I'm going to link)

Sean Croxton From Underground Wellness. I first got into UW when my nephew started speaking to me about the problems sugar creates in our diet. Since then I have been a huge fan of Sean and UW. Sean recently hosted a Paleo Summit which I subscribed to. The information I gleaned from it was astonishing.

Robb Wolf Robb has a stack of info on the benefits of coconut oil and Paleo eating on his blog. His book 'The Paleo Solution' was the first book I ever read about Paleo diets and it's what hurtled me into the world of Paleo eating. Robb's website is fantastic. Look at it, get lost in it and then buy the book :)

Ok, so there's three. I have many many more but I think that if you get through those three  and really seriously read them, you'll have more than enough information to understand why coconut oil is extremely beneficial to your body.


I get my coconut oil from Loving Earth


No comments:

Post a Comment